Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Where do they get this stuff?

Did anyone notice that the sun continues to rise and everyone's lives have been unaffected by the official elimination of the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy in the military?

On a related note, check out this exchange that took place at a recent Republican debate:

Quote
KELLY: Senator Santorum, this question stirred up a whole lot of controversy online, and it comes from Stephen Hill, who is a soldier serving in Iraq.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
QUESTION: In 2010, when I was deployed to Iraq, I had to lie about who I was, because I'm a gay soldier, and I didn't want to lose my job.
My question is, under one of your presidencies, do you intend to circumvent the progress that's been made for gay and lesbian soldiers in the military?
(END VIDEO CLIP)
(BOOING)
SANTORUM: Yeah, I -- I would say, any type of sexual activity has absolutely no place in the military. And the fact that they're making a point to include it as a provision within the military that we are going to recognize a group of people and give them a special privilege to -- to -- and removing "don't ask/don't tell" I think tries to inject social policy into the military. And the military's job is to do one thing, and that is to defend our country.
We need to give the military, which is all-volunteer, the ability to do so in a way that is most efficient at protecting our men and women in uniform.

So, let me get this straight, permitting anyone to serve in the military is injecting social policy and Don't Ask Don't Tell is not? If someone can explain this, please take a shot.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home